Sunday, January 22, 2012

CHOCOLATE CARAMELS FROM NANA

Elizabeth Rowland
1899-1986

While cleaning out our house I came across an old cookbook from my great grandmother Elizabeth Rowland (Nana).  Born in 1899 in the Shenandoah Valley of Pennsylvania, my Nana was a sickly child, but she had a resilience of a super hero. Later in life she became many things, a wife, a mother, a grandmother and great-grandmother, a divine cook and she was even a sharpshooter for the coal mines shooting out the the local rodents! I remember her having the most amazing personality and sense of humor - her laughter was contagious! A strong woman, my Nana was not only a sickly child, but survived the swine flu and 4 out of the 5 strokes she had in her lifetime. 
In any event, outside of being an amazing cook, she was an even better baker! I couldn't be a part of a dessert blog without sharing my Nana'a amazing dessert recipes. The desserts will include a vast menu from chocolate caramels, chocolate fudge, pineapple cookies, peanut butter cookies and my mom's favorite Michigan Rocks cookies to name a few. So, fire up the oven and start making my Nana's desserts that are sure to make you the life of the party! Enjoy!


CHOCOLATE CARAMELS
1 cup of brown sugar
2 cups of molasses
Boil 10 minutes
add 1 tablespoon of flour

butter the size of an egg (I love the way she describes measurement!)
1/2 pound of grated chocolate
Small cap of vanilla
Boil 20 minutes longer
Let cool
Cut into squares



We hope you like the first in a series of many spectacular and easy to put together dessert recipes.  From our family to yours, we hope you enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment